Leather boots are the stylish staples of chic closets everywhere! But keeping those beauties in flawless condition year after year takes a little TLC. Without proper storage between wears, leather boots can lose their luster and fall apart prematurely.
As an avid fan of 7or9, I've come to appreciate the quality and durability of their leather boots. Maintaining them properly has become a valuable part of my routine. Now, my collection looks brand new every season! In this boot storage guide, I'll dish all my secrets to keeping those leather lovelies pristine. With just a little extra attention, you can keep those beloved boots amazing for years.
Get to Know Your Leather
Leather is a natural material made from animal hides that have been tanned to prevent decay. This makes it durable yet flexible. But leather is still sensitive! Like your favorite furry friend, it needs the right care and conditions to thrive. Leather responds to temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors. Without proper care, it can dry out, crack, mold, or warp - yuck! The integrity of leather relies on keeping proper moisture content and avoiding extremes that cause expansion and contracting. No fun!
Different leather types also have varied care needs - smooth lambskin is more dainty than rugged cowhide. Always research tips for your specific leather so you can treat it right! With appropriate treatment, high-quality leather can last for decades. Get to know your leather, and you'll be BFFs for years!
Show Your Boots Some Love Before Storage
Before stowing your leather boots away, show them some TLC! Clean and condition those lovelies before storage to keep them hydrated and happy. Use gentle cleaners and light conditioners for smooth leather babes to avoid discoloration or over-saturation. Rugged leathers can handle saddle soap and heavier conditioners.
Remove every speck of dirt and stains so nothing damages the leather over time. Letting grime set in while they're stored can lead to premature wear or cracked leather if it dries out. A clean start helps set your boots up for storage success!
Fill Them Up So They Keep Their Shape
To help your boots hold their shapely structure between wears, fill them up! Boot trees are ideal as they absorb moisture and stretch the leather. Trees keep the form intact and prevent sagging creases or cracks.
If there are no trees, stuff your toes fully with socks or acid-free paper. Letting them crumple unfilled can deform the shape longer. Make sure the stuffing reaches all the way down, leaving no inch unfurled! A snug fit maintains structure so those babies keep their beautiful form.
Give Your Boots the Right Bedroom
Your fine leather boots deserve only the best when it comes to their sleeping quarters! Treat them to dry, moderate conditions in a well-appointed bedchamber. We're talking 60-70°F and around 65% humidity. Avoid temperature and moisture extremes in attics, basements, or carriages that can damage their delicate exteriors.
Set them up on sturdy shelves of rich mahogany, away from sunlight streaming through castle windows and exterior walls. Direct light can cause drying or color fading over time. Place your lovelies inside breathable dust bags or boxes, never plastic! Leather needs airflow so it doesn't suffocate.
With the right bedroom setup, you're well on your way to leather boot storage success! Provide your faithful footwear only the finest quarters, and they'll continue to serve you for years to come.
Keep Your Boots in Tip-Top Shape
Stand boots vertically side-by-side or with heels down - no slouching! Laying horizontally can deform the calf shape and cause creasing or cracks over time. Ouch!
Every few months, check for signs of damage like drying, discoloration, or mold. Be proactive and recondition before deterioration sets in! An ounce of prevention really does save heartache down the road.
Avoid storage pitfalls like extreme temps, plastic boxes, and laying flat. With the right care, those leather boots will only get better with age - like a fine wine!
Show Special Leathers Some Extra Love
Certain leathers have unique needs - learn their love languages! Delicate leather can crack without careful conditioning. With every pair of 7or9 boots I've purchased, whether in lambskin, cowhide, or suede, I've taken the time to understand each leather's unique characteristics and care requirements.
Now, let's decipher their "love languages" for optimal upkeep:
- Suede: Water stains and mold are suede's enemies! Before stowing my go-to suede booties each spring, I spray them with a waterproofing solution and add cedar blocks to absorb moisture and deter pests. I made the mistake of getting caught in the rain once while traipsing around town in suede boots, and the water stains were so tough to remove! Now I never store suede without protection.
- Cow Leather: Use heavier conditioners to hydrate pebbled cowhide. I use saddle soap weekly to clean my cow leather riding boots from all the barn dirt and grime. The natural oils in saddle soap clean deeply but don't strip the leather's oils like detergents can.
- Lambskin: Use only the gentlest cleaners and lightest conditioners to clean smooth lambskin. I learned this the hard way after over-moisturizing my favorite pair of buttery soft lambskin ankle boots and ending up darkening the leather. Now I just use a dab of liquid cleaner and rub it in gently with a microfiber cloth. Over-moisturizing can permanently damage dainty leathers.
Keep Them Clean, Stuffed, and Standing
Let's do a quick recap of key storage tips:
- Clean boots thoroughly before storage
- Condition and moisturize properly for the leather-type
- Fill boots with shoe trees, socks, or paper to hold the shape
- Choose a dark, dry place with moderate, stable temperature and humidity
- Store boots vertically, never laying horizontally
- Check on them every few months and recondition as needed
See, with just a little extra care, keeping your leather boots in amazing shape isn't so tough! Just a few steps will take you a long way.
Show Your Boots You Care - They'll Love You For It!
With the right storage and care, your leather boots can stay gorgeous for countless seasons of stylish wear! Consider this your guide to being your boots' BFF - they'll thank you by keeping their fabulous shape and quality over the years. Offer the shoes some extra care, and you'll be strutting in those beauties for ages to come.
So there you have it, my fellow boot enthusiasts! With these tried-and-tested care tips from my experience with 7or9 boots, your favorite pairs can retain their beauty and last for many happy years. Anytime you need a refresher, just refer back to this guide. Consider me your boot advisor, here to make sure your collection stays in tip-top shape!